Thursday, October 13, 2011

29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A

–— –— –—
“Devout Catholics and Honest Citizens”



On this 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Jesus challenges us to “give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.” This means that we should integrate into one harmonious reality the good qualities of being honest citizens and devout Catholics.
The teaching of the Church on these two aspects of our life offer us a sure guide, but such teaching will become fruitful only to the extent that we put it into practice. Let our participation in this Eucharistic celebration be a renewed commitment on our part to give our very best for the good of the Church and our country.
The Pharisees were among Jesus’ most persistent opponents. Today we see some of them join forces with the “Herodians,” to try to trap Jesus with an insidious question. The Lord’s answer turns the tables on them and reminds them and us that we should fulfill our duties to both God and country.


A proclamation from the holy Gospel according to St. Matthew (Mt 22:15-21). Glory to you O Lord.

The Pharisees went off and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech. They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. And you are not concerned with anyone’s opinion, for you do not regard a person’s status. Tell us, then, what is your opinion: Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?”
Knowing their malice, Jesus said, “Why are you testing me, you hypocrites? Show me the coin that pays the census tax.” Then they handed him the Roman coin. He said to them, “Whose image is this and whose inscription?” They replied, “Caesar’s.” At that he said to them, “Then repay to Ceasar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.”

The Gospel of the Lord. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ.


Catechism of the Catholic Church (ccc)

#1898. Every human community needs an authority to govern it. The foundation of such authority lies in human nature. It is necessary for the unity of the state. Its role is to ensure as far as possible the common good of the society.

#1899. The authority required by the moral order derives from God: “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.”


True Life In God Messages

Victim Of My Body And Of My Soul
October 21, 1987

Today I had discouraging news. The Catholic theologist of Lyon whom I had put my hopes on, when he learned that I do not belong to the Catholic community his enthusiasm became cold. He said I am experiencing God. But does not understand that its beyond this. God is giving a message to all of us; as far as the ecclesiastical authorities and the Holy See as well. But of course why should he believe, I come from nowhere, so to speak; as I once said, if I was one of them I would have been accepted and they would have tried to glance on the message. And this is exactly what God is trying to teach us, not to differ from one another, we are all under one authority, God's authority. Why make a distinction. A distinction even upon the character of the person. I am not wearing the habit, but does it matter, can I ask God why? He has chosen me as I am and wants me that way.

Vassula, you are experiencing the same things as when I was in flesh on earth; remember Vassula, when the Pharisees questioned Me about who had given Me the authority to preach?

Yes, Lord.

beloved My Message comes from Me, all authority will come from Me, you belong to Me, have I in any instant written that your authority will be given by mankind? little one, towards Wisdom lean your head,

 (I became distressed and sad, tears flowed out and I had to stop for a while to recover)

My victim, I have chosen you to be the victim of My Heart, the sweet torture of your soul, victim of My Body and of My Soul, by the denials, anguishes and sorrows, Vassula, you will experience My life on earth, I will give it all to you in small doses with the capacity your soul can bear, you will, and you have already been disbelieved, accused, mocked upon, rejected, Vassula there will be more to come, yet, on the other hand, I have given you those who believe in My Message of Peace and Love, they are your witnesses;
let me remind you, that you too will be betrayed,[1]
Vassula I love you, I the Lord am your support, to Me come and get consoled; let My Peace enwrap you, come, all authority comes from Me and not from men, you belong under My Authority, which is, One, One Authority;

My God, thank you for giving me Your support. Thank you for giving me witnesses too. I will not raise my voice anymore, I should keep my words which were; “do what you please with me, if you give me delights or sorrows, I will thank You all the same. You want me thrown I’ll be thrown, You want me cuddled, I do not merit it. Do what Your Heart desires most. I am Yours.”

yes be soft so that I may engrave deep in you My Words, remember My Presence and My Love;


Prayer in Time of Purification

Tender Father, lash not Your wrath on this generation, lest they perish altogether;
Lash not on Your flock distress and anguish,
      for the waters will run dry and nature will wither;
all will succumb at Your wrath leaving no trace behind them;
The heat of Your Breath will put aflame the earth turning it into a waste!
From the horizon a star will be seen;
The night will be ravaged and ashes will fall as snow in winter, covering Your people like ghosts;
Take Mercy on us, God, and do not assess us harshly;
Remember the hearts that rejoice in You and You in them!
Remember Your faithful and let not Your Hand fall on us with force,
But, rather in Your Mercy lift us and place Your precepts in every heart. Amen”        (28 November 2009)



Ref.:   Catechism of the Catholic Church • True Life In God - www.tlig.org, Euchalette, 16 October 2011, 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Yr A.


Learning to Get Involved

For centuries Christians have concentrated mostly on “giving to God what belongs to God.” Religious observances were top priority on their agenda, as well as in their examination of conscience. They offered the criterion to decide whether one was a “practising Catholic” or not.
“Give to Caesar what is due to Caesar” was generally understood as paying one’s taxes and obeying the laws of the country promulgated by the legitimate authority. Contributive justice and obedience to the legitimate authority are just two aspects of our civic duties. Important and hard as these may be, there are also other ways in which we are expected to make our contribution to the building up of a better, more humane, more just society.
The list is long: love of country and its cultural values, respect for the environment, honesty, good example, solidarity, contribution of ideas and even constructive criticism, avoidance of waste, hard work, considering the whole nation as one’s “greater family”. . . . These are just some of the ways through which we “give to Caesar what is due to Caesar” some aspects of what it means to be a “good citizen” today.
Even the term “good citizen” must have, for us, a wider meaning now than it had in the past. It must mean to be an active and responsible member of the family of nations that make up mankind – one that takes to heart the hopes, aspirations, and difficulties of every human being and society.
We must learn to leave our ghettoes and acquire a “participative mentality.” We must learn to feel responsible for the world in all its aspects because this is our world the world God has entrusted to our stewardship in order that we make it “the blueprint of the Kingdom.”
Vatican II and subsequent pronouncements  of the Church’s Teaching Authority have not only confirmed this “new orientation,” but have also spelled it out in greater detail. They have also proclaimed clearly that it is the specific duty of the Catholic laity to get involved – and actually to take the lead in the building of a better world. This is their mission. It is in accomplishing such a “mission to the world” that they will be contributing to the coming of God’s Kingdom here on earth, and thereby bring about their own sanctification.
One cannot be a good Christian if one does not endeavor to be a good citizen of one’s country as well as of all the “family of nations.” We must be fully involved. We owe it to ourselves, to society, to the Church. It is only by “giving to Caesar what is due to Caesar” that we begin to “give to God what is due to God.”



Ref.:   p.4, Euchalette, 16 October 2011, 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Yr A.


[1] by one?

No comments: